Spring is the perfect season to experience this charming town. With a rich history, stunning landscapes, and a welcoming community, there are endless opportunities for adventure and relaxation. In this blog, we will share the top 10 must-do activities for a memorable springtime experience in the Dorset and surrounding areas. Let’s dive in!
- Hike at Merck Forest and Farmland Center (https://www.merckforest.org/): Begin your Dorset adventure with a rejuvenating hike through the Merck Forest and Farmland Center. This 3,200-acre gem offers well-maintained trails, picturesque views, and educational opportunities on sustainable agriculture and forestry practices. Don’t miss the chance to visit the farm’s adorable animals!
- Discover History at Dorset Quarry (Opens Memorial Day — https://dorsetquarry.com/): Take a step back in time at the historic Dorset Quarry, the oldest marble quarry in the United States. Established in 1785, this site now serves as a popular swimming hole. Admire the stunning marble cliffs and take a refreshing dip in the crystal-clear waters.
- Visit H.N. Williams General Store: Experience a taste of old-fashioned Americana at the H.N. Williams General Store, established in 1840. Browse through an eclectic mix of local products, artisanal crafts, and nostalgic memorabilia. Be sure to grab a homemade treat at their in-store bakery.
- Attend Dorset Theatre Festival (Beginning June 23, 2023 — https://dorsettheatrefestival.org/): As spring rolls into summer, don’t miss the Dorset Theatre Festival. This esteemed event showcases local and national talent in a variety of productions, ranging from contemporary plays to classic favorites. Check their website for the latest schedule and ticket information.
- Get Active at Emerald Lake State Park (Opens 5/26/2023 — https://vtstateparks.com/emerald.html#visitDropdown): Located just a short drive from Dorset, Emerald Lake State Park is a springtime haven for outdoor enthusiasts. Enjoy kayaking, canoeing, or fishing on the pristine lake, or explore the park’s lush hiking trails. The stunning setting amidst the Green Mountains adds to the overall experience. And for the art lovers who are also foodies, check out the curate Café.
- Attend the Dorset Farmers’ Market (indoor through May 7th, 2023 — https://www.dorsetfarmersmarket.com/): Support local artisans and farmers by visiting the Dorset Farmers’ Market. Held every Sunday from May to October, the market offers an array of seasonal produce, homemade goods, and unique crafts that make perfect souvenirs.
- Stroll Through Historic Dorset Vermont Village (https://maps.roadtrippers.com/us/dorset-vt/points-of-interest/dorset-village-historic-district): Take a leisurely walk through the picturesque Dorset Village, with its well-preserved historic buildings and quaint charm. Be sure to stop by the Dorset Union Store, the oldest continually operating general store in Vermont, and the Dorset Inn, the oldest continuously operating Inn in VT.
- Mountain Biking in the Green Mountains: For adrenaline junkies, mountain biking is a fantastic way to experience Vermont’s natural beauty. The Green Mountains boast numerous trails suitable for all skill levels. Rent a bike from a local outfitter and hit the trails for a day of adventure.
- Take a Scenic Drive: Vermont is renowned for its stunning scenery, and spring is the perfect time for a scenic drive. Venture along Vermont Route 30, which winds through the picturesque Mettawee Valley, or explore the nearby Route 7, which offers stunning views of the Green Mountains and Taconic Range.
- Explore Nearby Towns: Vermont is home to many charming towns, each with its own unique character. Consider taking a day trip to nearby destinations such as Manchester, Arlington, or Bennington to explore their shops, museums, and restaurants.
Dorset, Vermont is a captivating destination filled with natural beauty, rich history, and engaging activities for all ages. By indulging in these 10 springtime activities, you’ll create lasting memories and discover the magic of this quaint New England town.